One of the biggest Earthquakes in 200 years hit Haiti in 2010, causing widespread chaos and destruction. When the earthquake hit the tiny island those with access to mobile devices and a Twitter account were able to tweet about the event, causing the social-media-giant to become “a key tool for distributing images and information from Haiti” (Paul 2010). Twitter allowed the people of Haiti to communicate with, alert, and keep family and friends informed of their safety. One social media commentator in Haiti was even able to inform the entire public that the phone lines were working and that they should call their families (Paul 2010). During, and up to two weeks after the disaster, people on social media sites such as Twitter were able to share information, donate money to those affected by the earthquake and offer additional support (Kiem 2011, p.101).
I know personally that if I were stuck in a natural disaster and the phone lines were not working that I would use Twitter to alert my friends and family to what was happening and that I was safe. It is a quick and easy way for me to allow people insight into what was happening without panicking them.
Because Twitter is well organised, accurate and concentrated, it allows official–to-public information type broadcasts to be sent out quickly and efficiently, reaching all effected individuals quicker than traditional media (Kiem 2011, p.101).
Twitter provides the public with the immediate information required to access and locate emergency relief. It can aid the public by making people aware of the number of injured people, the locations and capacities of local and regional medical facilities, and other important needs in emergency response management (Kiem 2011, p.101). The extensive use of Twitter during the 2010 Haiti earthquake shows that tweeting the characteristics of catastrophic events, such as weather changes, locations to avoid, and what areas are inaccessible, can potentially save lives during disasters.
References
Kiem, M. 2011, ‘Emergent use of Social
Media: A New Age of Opportunity for Disaster Resilience’, Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, vol. 26, no.S1, p.101.
NDCLEYE5 2012, ‘Haiti-earthquake-2010-1-15-14-46-37.jpg’
[Image] accessed 4 December 2013,
< http://ndcleye5.wikispaces.com/file/detail/haiti-earthquake-2010-1-15-14-46-37.jpg/370502776>.
Paul, I. 2010, ‘Tech Tools Tell the
Story of Earthquake in Haiti’, PCWorld
website, accessed 4 December 2013, <http://www.pcworld.com/article/186805/twitter_skype_haiti_earthquake.html>.
Twitter would have also introduced many of its users to a 'new country' that they wouldn't have known the name of before the earthquake. I live in country Victoria, so we are prone to floods and fires, even as a minimalist twitter user I have found the CFA's updates and groups like East Gippsland Flood Watch excellent in finding out which roads are clear when floods are around and even updates about back-burning as to not be alarmed by smoke clouds in the distance. For me it has not been a matter of life or death but it sure has saved me time taking a different route before finding out a road is blocked.
ReplyDeleteHi, Duncan,
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about how, many of the users on Twitter would have been introduced to a 'new country'. Thank you for raising that point. The CFA updates would be very handy to have pop up on your account. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.
Cheers.
-Niki.
A good, informative spin on the positive aspects of twitter on humanity. I knew it was great for spreading gossipy news etc, but this is a really valid point. Its a pity that most of the re-tweets that make it into the viral web pages as 'news' is stupid stuff Bieber or Miley have done in the past 5 minutes. LOL.I think I have a little more respect for the possibilities of twitter now :) Good point to, Duncan :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Ciara.
ReplyDeleteIt is funny how all we think about is the celebrity side of twitter but when we delve a little bit more into it we can learn about the many capabilities of twitter. I hadn't really thought about it that much until reading about in the weekly readings.
Thanks for taking the time to look at my posts.
Cheers.
-Niki.